Planning School Canopies
Under the Town and Country Planning Acts, all school canopies are considered buildings so it is important to check if a planning permission is required before starting the installation. Planning permission can take up to 12 weeks depending on the size and type of canopy, so make sure to include that in your project’s timeline.
Who Needs Planning Permission?
Planning regulations vary across the UK. As a general rule, all canopies that stay up for more than 28 days requires planning permission. Some permanent canopy installations are exempt from planning permission. The following planning approval exemptions apply to permanent canopies for colleges, schools and nurseries:
- Canopies not exceeding 5 metres in height
- Canopies that are no less than 5 metres from the curtilage of the school grounds
- Canopies not exceeding 100 square metres of the gross floor space of the building
- Canopies not installed within the curtilage of a building, unless it is still used by the school
It is best to contact your local planning authority to confirm if your canopy project needs planning permission. Pre-planning advice can also be provided from a self-help surveyor within your local authority.
Considerations When Planning
The installation of a school canopy is an investment; there are certain factors to take into consideration before setting the plan in motion:
- What is the purpose of adding a canopy?
- It is important to be clear about the purpose of adding canopy on your school grounds. Think about its long-term advantages together with the short-term benefits.
- Will it maximise the space in your school grounds?
- You may sacrifice some outdoor space with the addition of a canopy. But, it also creates a multifunctional space that can be used for playing, teaching and other activities that can be conducted outdoors.
- Will it match the aesthetic of your school?
- Your canopy may need to complement a rural or modern aesthetic. You may also require it to match a specific colour scheme.
Rest assured our technicians will adhere to the requirements of your school canopy. We will also provide professional advice on the design and location to make sure all your outdoor shading needs are met.
Need assistance in planning your canopy? Call +44 (0)117 958 993.